Quietus Forum

An America's Army Brotherhood, Mostly!
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 can someone explain this to me?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ever



Posts : 143
Join date : 2009-05-19
Location : On a Quark

PostSubject: Re: can someone explain this to me?   Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:48 am

Legionnaire wrote:
Saint wrote:
You got a good point across, JM. I think I'd probably agree with most things you'd say about religions. I wouldn't call myself an atheist though (very American thing). I do believe in some things.. I believe in myself. And I respect Mother Nature. She is the strongest force I know. And if there is a God, She's wearing his pants.


yeah roberto, its all symantics. im drunk ,so bear with me. but basicaly i used t call myself agnostic, but ef that. im athiest. i dont believe in the god of abraham, and thats what it boils down to.



AAAAAAAAAHHH too much beer!!!!!!!!!!! celebration for finishing training! and no more beer for 6 months!!!!!!!!! america!!!!!!!!! USA USA USA USA!!!!!

How much did you drink? 2-3 beers? rendeer <-weird emoticon but you believe in mother earth. So would you say Haiti and any other natural disaster is a mother nature whiplash?
Back to top Go down
gladiator

avatar

Posts : 2
Join date : 2010-02-04
Location : Austin

PostSubject: Re: can someone explain this to me?   Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:51 am

Ah, I missed out on a great conversation. Sadface.

JM I dont know if I've ever told you this, but I tend to not tell anyone I'm an Atheist (or more apropriately, Apatheist). My best friend let it slip at work one time and 3 people decided they wernt talking to me anymore and begged me on a daily basis to change b/c they liked me and couldnt bare to think my soul would be in hell. This really pissed me off. It was so condescending. They were pitying me like I was a blind man and the best I could really offer them in return is apathy.

I agree with Aaron that most of the problem is education. Somehow people figured out I was an anthro major at work, so I've been debated several times about evolution. One of my favorite examples: A girl came up to me and said "you believe we came from monkeys right?...(I corrected her that I believe we evolved from a common ape-like ancestor)...Ok, so heres the deal, how come all monkeys didnt turn into humans? If evolution were real, there would be no monkeys left..." She sat there with a smug look on her face while I explained the situation (with drawings) for 5 minutes, then sent her a link to Dawkins' counter argument to that very point. I later found out that she was telling everyone that she won the argument because my reply made no sense to her.

This brings me to my next point: on top of education youre fighting indoctrination of a belief system, which is oftentimes more powerful than logic. To give an example of this, look at how much people freaked the fuck out when Pluto downgraded. People like their world explained, catalogued and with an easy answer. It doesnt matter how rational you are with a religious person, belief persistence (an actual anthropological term to describe this phenomenon) will prevail. Cmon...dinosaur bones are God's test of our faith. Everyone knows that. The culture of religion is a software built in that is not easily erased or reprogrammed.

Sorry, I tend to get immensely frustrated about this topic, and I feel that everyone before me has stated everything brilliantly without my meager contribution. I'll close this with a Bill Maher quote: "When people tell you "Im a Christian", they think theyre saying that they have the moral high ground. Thats not what I hear. What I hear is "I have a neurological disorder".
Back to top Go down
Ever



Posts : 143
Join date : 2009-05-19
Location : On a Quark

PostSubject: Re: can someone explain this to me?   Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:42 pm

gladiator wrote:
Ah, I missed out on a great conversation. Sadface.

JM I dont know if I've ever told you this, but I tend to not tell anyone I'm an Atheist (or more apropriately, Apatheist). My best friend let it slip at work one time and 3 people decided they wernt talking to me anymore and begged me on a daily basis to change b/c they liked me and couldnt bare to think my soul would be in hell. This really pissed me off. It was so condescending. They were pitying me like I was a blind man and the best I could really offer them in return is apathy.

I agree with Aaron that most of the problem is education. Somehow people figured out I was an anthro major at work, so I've been debated several times about evolution. One of my favorite examples: A girl came up to me and said "you believe we came from monkeys right?...(I corrected her that I believe we evolved from a common ape-like ancestor)...Ok, so heres the deal, how come all monkeys didnt turn into humans? If evolution were real, there would be no monkeys left..." She sat there with a smug look on her face while I explained the situation (with drawings) for 5 minutes, then sent her a link to Dawkins' counter argument to that very point. I later found out that she was telling everyone that she won the argument because my reply made no sense to her.

This brings me to my next point: on top of education youre fighting indoctrination of a belief system, which is oftentimes more powerful than logic. To give an example of this, look at how much people freaked the fuck out when Pluto downgraded. People like their world explained, catalogued and with an easy answer. It doesnt matter how rational you are with a religious person, belief persistence (an actual anthropological term to describe this phenomenon) will prevail. Cmon...dinosaur bones are God's test of our faith. Everyone knows that. The culture of religion is a software built in that is not easily erased or reprogrammed.

Sorry, I tend to get immensely frustrated about this topic, and I feel that everyone before me has stated everything brilliantly without my meager contribution. I'll close this with a Bill Maher quote: "When people tell you "Im a Christian", they think theyre saying that they have the moral high ground. Thats not what I hear. What I hear is "I have a neurological disorder".

I did not read this but holy fuck, its robby.

edited: Robby, did you send her the hominid skull progression over the ~3.5 Million years ago. I am surprised you did not get stoned for the bringing up of his counter arguments. Let alone who dawkins is and what book he wrote.
Back to top Go down
Saint
Caretaker
avatar

Posts : 217
Join date : 2009-05-19
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: can someone explain this to me?   Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:22 pm

Ever wrote:
Legionnaire wrote:
Saint wrote:
You got a good point across, JM. I think I'd probably agree with most things you'd say about religions. I wouldn't call myself an atheist though (very American thing). I do believe in some things.. I believe in myself. And I respect Mother Nature. She is the strongest force I know. And if there is a God, She's wearing his pants.


yeah roberto, its all symantics. im drunk ,so bear with me. but basicaly i used t call myself agnostic, but ef that. im athiest. i dont believe in the god of abraham, and thats what it boils down to.



AAAAAAAAAHHH too much beer!!!!!!!!!!! celebration for finishing training! and no more beer for 6 months!!!!!!!!! america!!!!!!!!! USA USA USA USA!!!!!

How much did you drink? 2-3 beers? rendeer <-weird emoticon but you believe in mother earth. So would you say Haiti and any other natural disaster is a mother nature whiplash?

I'm just saying that Mother Nature does whatever the hell she wants.. So all you can do is try to keep her healthy and happy. Dude, I sound like a freaking recycling commercial! elephant

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://quietus.coolbb.net
Zero
Liability
avatar

Posts : 117
Join date : 2009-06-03
Age : 32
Location : In Absentia

PostSubject: Re: can someone explain this to me?   Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:09 pm

gladiator wrote:
Ah, I missed out on a great conversation. Sadface.

JM I dont know if I've ever told you this, but I tend to not tell anyone I'm an Atheist (or more apropriately, Apatheist). My best friend let it slip at work one time and 3 people decided they wernt talking to me anymore and begged me on a daily basis to change b/c they liked me and couldnt bare to think my soul would be in hell. This really pissed me off. It was so condescending. They were pitying me like I was a blind man and the best I could really offer them in return is apathy.

I agree with Aaron that most of the problem is education. Somehow people figured out I was an anthro major at work, so I've been debated several times about evolution. One of my favorite examples: A girl came up to me and said "you believe we came from monkeys right?...(I corrected her that I believe we evolved from a common ape-like ancestor)...Ok, so heres the deal, how come all monkeys didnt turn into humans? If evolution were real, there would be no monkeys left..." She sat there with a smug look on her face while I explained the situation (with drawings) for 5 minutes, then sent her a link to Dawkins' counter argument to that very point. I later found out that she was telling everyone that she won the argument because my reply made no sense to her.

This brings me to my next point: on top of education youre fighting indoctrination of a belief system, which is oftentimes more powerful than logic. To give an example of this, look at how much people freaked the fuck out when Pluto downgraded. People like their world explained, catalogued and with an easy answer. It doesnt matter how rational you are with a religious person, belief persistence (an actual anthropological term to describe this phenomenon) will prevail. Cmon...dinosaur bones are God's test of our faith. Everyone knows that. The culture of religion is a software built in that is not easily erased or reprogrammed.

Sorry, I tend to get immensely frustrated about this topic, and I feel that everyone before me has stated everything brilliantly without my meager contribution. I'll close this with a Bill Maher quote: "When people tell you "Im a Christian", they think theyre saying that they have the moral high ground. Thats not what I hear. What I hear is "I have a neurological disorder".

whenever i hear these kind of stories i have a compulsory gag reflex. that dumb broad literally said she won a fight because she can't understand a logical argument. wow.

every moron that wants to "save" me from myself makes me want to light them on fire. let them pray for me from "heaven" because there ain't shit that's going to save me from "hell"



my instruction to this person is to pray harder.
Back to top Go down
Legionnaire

avatar

Posts : 161
Join date : 2009-05-20
Age : 79
Location : Hell Rio, Tx

PostSubject: Re: can someone explain this to me?   Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:01 pm

Saint wrote:

I'm just saying that Mother Nature does whatever the hell she wants.. So all you can do is try to keep her healthy and happy. Dude, I sound like a freaking recycling commercial! elephant

haha i was gonna say the same thing, you hippie!

naw, in all seriousness, i largely agree with you roberto. sadly, much of the harm being done to the planet is an unavoidable consequence of having 6 fucking billion people! this means we either need have some radical population control measures (as mentioned by robby, somewhere), or we need to start killing people. some days i just wake up pissed off, and on those days IM ALL ABOUT THE LATTER OPTION.

i say everyone who believes in heaven, what the FUCK are you waiting for? just give me the word and ill send you straight there and well be doing each other a huge favor!

but seriously, if heavens so great whys everyone trying so hard to stay alive (islamist extremists aside) on this often times miserable planet?


robby, i think you mentioned that story about the dumb chick at work to me before, and its still upsetting!

i found these 3 youtube clips that eloquently put many of my thoughts into words and pictures. i want to try and use them to explain my vision of reality to people. everyday its more and more like im living in the matrix, or in plato's allegory of the cave, and im trying to show people that the shadows they see dancing on the walls are not necessairly reality. i mean, so many people no kidding frame their reality, their perception of the world around them on what i think (and can sometimes prove!) are delusions... unfortunately, most people are content to take the blue pill!

1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH0rFZIqo8A

2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk6ILZAaAMI&feature=related

3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVuw1wEuaAQ&feature=related


p.s. http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com/ is an interesting website, if any of you have never seen it before

_________________
Back to top Go down
Ever



Posts : 143
Join date : 2009-05-19
Location : On a Quark

PostSubject: Re: can someone explain this to me?   Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:34 pm

both sides have some alright points in how you can look at it. However

Back to top Go down
Legionnaire

avatar

Posts : 161
Join date : 2009-05-20
Age : 79
Location : Hell Rio, Tx

PostSubject: Re: can someone explain this to me?   Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:55 pm

who has good points about what?

nice skulls. are there lables for dates/species for those?

_________________
Back to top Go down
Epicurean

avatar

Posts : 66
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 29
Location : Escondido, CA

PostSubject: Re: can someone explain this to me?   Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:45 am

gladiator wrote:
Everything relevant to an atheistic argument (in short that I made shorterr)

I thought it was pretty insightful, yo. I'd just like to add that APPARENTLY (this isn't something I looked into in depth) apes evolved from monkeys, so saying humans evolved from monkeys isn't entirely inaccurate. This is the video where I first heard it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-dMqEbSk8

And yes, I know I shouldn't believe everything I find on youtube, but I've been following this guy for awhile and he's reliable imo. Very Happy

_________________
Back to top Go down
Saint
Caretaker
avatar

Posts : 217
Join date : 2009-05-19
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: can someone explain this to me?   Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:06 am

I wanna be the E-skull. Then next time I wanna scare somebody, I'll tear off my skin and show people my skull. That'll scare 'm good! Awesome!

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://quietus.coolbb.net
Ever



Posts : 143
Join date : 2009-05-19
Location : On a Quark

PostSubject: Re: can someone explain this to me?   Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:40 pm

Legionnaire wrote:
who has good points about what?

nice skulls. are there lables for dates/species for those?

I heard some quite interesting stories about religion as existence of god. One being a college student told me his friend was doing rounds. In his rounds he was required to look over a coma ward. During his coma stint a guy was in a coma for ~year and out of the blue he woke up and said "I can't get into the gates of heaven until [I think Kevin was the name, one of the coma guys friends] dies. Then he went back into the coma. three days later, [Kevin?] dies and the guy dies that same day. Weird yeah, coincidence but that trips me out.


http://www.filecabi.net/video/HistoryofEarthRedneckStyle.html

http://english.pravda.ru/science/mysteries/12-01-2010/111621-sheep_human_face-0




Robby would know more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: can someone explain this to me?   

Back to top Go down
 
can someone explain this to me?
Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Card Fluke? Can anyone help explain this

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Quietus Forum :: Open Forum-
Jump to: